The Games and Gaming Round Table of the American Library Association is proud to sponsor its annual grant program to enable libraries to develop gaming programs or collections for their public. Through the Game On! grant, $1000.00 will be available to be awarded either as one grant of $1000 or two of $500 each to assist a library (or libraries) in developing gaming programs or collections for their communities.
ALA members in good standing currently employed at a public, school, academic or special library in the United States or Canada are eligible to apply. Libraries will need to illustrate a plan for a sustainable gaming program or collection created with the funds as well as financial need and institutional support for the proposed project.
The application period will take place from January 1 to March 1 of each year, and the grant winner will be announced at GameRT’s ALA Play event at the ALA Annual conference in June (followed by a press release after the conference).
Administered by: Games and Gaming Round Table
- Applicants must be a member of ALA (personal or organizational); ALA member ID required on application
- Applicants must be employed with a public, school, academic, or special library
- No library should receive the Game On! Grant more than two times in a five year period.
- Institutions represented by the Game On! Grant Jury are eligible to apply, but Jury members must recuse themselves from the discussion and voting or decline the nomination if they have a conflict of interest.
Candidates must submit an electronic application, explaining why they are interested in the grant and how a new or expanded gaming program/collection will benefit their community. Selection is based upon the quality and appropriateness of the submitted proposals. Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate fiscal need for funds based on their institution’s budget.
Grant recipients will be required to submit a follow-up report upon the completion of their proposal project. This report includes a written element and receipt submissions. Recipients may optionally include photos relevant to their project as well.
GameRT Game On! Grant Recipient Report form (viewing password is Game$grant)
The 2024 grant cycle will accept applications from January 1 to March 10 of 2024. (Update 02/22/2024: grant application deadline was extended.)
Access the grant application here
Applications will need to include the following information:
- Name of library and contact information of project coordinator
- Applicant’s ALA Member ID number (personal or organizational membership)
- Approval of Library Director
- Annual Library programming and collection budget
- Itemized list of materials to be purchased and justification
- Description of proposal, including how the proposal will provide sustainable gaming opportunities for the Library’s patrons (250 words or less)
2023: Butler Area Public Library (Butler, PA)
2022: Seward County Community College Library (Liberal, KS) and Roselle Public Library District (Roselle, IL)
2021: Chippewa Falls Public Library (Chippewa Falls, WI)
2020: Prairie State College Library (Chicago Heights, IL)