The best games for playing in libraries! (A.K.A. The Platys)
This Hall of Fame highlights games that are great for use in library collections and library programming.
Only games published 2 to 10 years prior to awarding year can be added to the Hall of Fame to help libraries find new, great games they might not have seen before.
Older classic games might appear in the Classics Hall of Fame. The first inductees will be announced in January 2024. All sorts of games are eligible, including but not limited to card games, board games, video games and role-playing games. The games should include some form of rules-bound play, and should be defined as a game by the game’s creators or publishers.
What We Are Looking For
We would love your input about which games to add, but we are also going to use our own discretion. However there are some things that we would love to see:
- Preference will be given to games that can provide a satisfying play in an hour’s time.
- Preference will be given to games that are meant for a range of ages.
- We will not add anything that is meant for a gaming device that is no longer being supported or easily available. Preference will be given to games that are on multiple systems that libraries frequently own.
- Submissions from the creators, and / or publishers of the games will not be considered.
- Preference will be given to games that have a certain level of uniqueness.
What is the Timeline For All This?
November – Nominations will open in November for International Games Month!
April – Our very own GameRT members will be able to help us winnow down the nominations by voting for the games they like.
June – Try out a couple of the games at ALA Play at ALA Annual
July – December – The members of the Hall of Fame Committee are trying out the games, discussing them and hopefully deciding which ones are the best!
January – We announce the winners of the Platinum Play Award around the time of Live Learn X! Hurray!